Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Edelweiss German Bakery and Cafe




My boyfriend Trent and I discovered Edelweiss German Bakery and Cafe behind Mellow Mushroom in Temerson Square a few weeks ago after my roommate told me about it. I don't know if it is a well kept secret, but I had never heard of it. Everyone needs to go there... the little place is run by a German family who knows how to bake and cook. They have delicious homemade breads, pastries, pretzels, and excellent coffee. The bakery is also open for lunch serving German sandwiches, bratwursts, and soups. Better yet, the bakers do not add any preservatives to their treats, so one is assured that they are fresh. Although I have only been there three times, the first day my boyfriend like it so much, we went there for breakfast and lunch! Also, the prices are very reasonable; Two can easily eat there for lunch for $10-$15. I have had the German breakfast that includes two pieces of your choice of bread and cream cheese, butter, and jelly. Also, I have tried the bratwurst (not something I would normally order for I'm not a big hot dog fan, but Trent talked me into it) that turned out to be delicious. I think Edelweiss is a great asset to Tuscaloosa, for it gives locals a taste of Germany!
Here is a good article about the cafe in the Tuscaloosa News: http://http//www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20071010/NEWS/71009026/1005/SPORTS0106

3 comments:

Chelsea's blog said...

I've totally been there. Me and another friend heard about it and took an adventure earlier in the year to find it. It took a little maneuvering because it is a little hidden but your right, it was definatly worth the hunt.

Evan said...

Thanks for posting this! I've been by there several times but I've never stopped to eat. I'm gonna have to go now this week some time.

Evan said...

I actually went today and had a chicken panini and a cappuccino (not sure how German those are) and some kind of orange cream cheese cake. It was all really good.