Tuesday, May 6, 2008

#14

So ever since I was about 13 and really started getting into my shopping obsession, I have loved local businesses. Coming from a descently sized city, small shops, restaurants, and other businesses give a sense of community and a small town feel. The service is usually fantastic and many have much more to offer than the large chain stores. Also, it is comforting to me to know that my money is going toward a local citizen and his or her business and not some large, multi-million corporation.
Although I did my best to support local businesses before this English class, I especially do now. I was familiar with many of the businesses of Montgomery, but not so many in Tuscaloosa. Keeping this blog nearly forced me to get out and explore this town. The more I did, the more I realized how much Tuscaloosa really has to offer, from the arts to restaurants. I feel Tuscaloosa is more a part of me now that I am much more familiar with it and have found favorite places. I also have realized how many spots I love in Montgomery. Actually writing about somewhere I like, such as Old Cloverdale, really got me to think and increased my liking of it even more!
I am now much more aware of where I am going and what I am doing in my community, and will definitely continue to do my best to support it and become a part of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a brilliant article. It will help a lot of people. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Emi Care Homes