Monday, May 5, 2008

Westervelt Warner Museum


Early in the semester, I had to go to the Westervelt Warner Museum for a class paper. I did not know much about the museum at all and had no idea how to get to the place which is about a fifteen minute drive from campus. However, once I finally found it, I was pleasantly surprised.

The museum is located deep in a beautiful Tuscaloosa neighborhood, Northriver, near the Northriver Yacht Club and looks over Lake Tuscaloosa. The outside of the museum is not what you would expecct, it looks much like a house. The inside resembles a home as well with numerous rooms, each filled with pieces of American art and devoted to a different time period. The museum has a very cozy, relaxed feel which I really liked, for I felt as though I could take my time and not have a security guard standing over me every second. Not only does the Warner Museum contan paintings and sculpure, but it also has furniture from different time periods, another aspect that sold me on the place for I love antique furniture.

I did not catch Mr. Warner when I visited, but I have been told that if you introduce yourself he will guide you through the museum and inform you of each piece's history. Also, I have been told it has one of the most impressive collections of art of any museum in the United States.

2 comments:

Chelsea's blog said...

I went there when I was in high school and it is a pretty cool place. We also missed Mr.Warner but we ate lunch in the backyard of his house. Its a gorgeous tiered garden that goes down to the garden.

Sarah's EN103 Blog said...

I went to the Westervelt Warner Museum last semester for Arts of TUscaloosa and I thought it was pretty cool. We actually met the guy that owns the art collection. It was fun. There was some pretty cool stuff in there.