Saturday, May 3, 2008

Old Cloverdale

(My Church)

(Sinclair's)

My favorite area of Montgomery is a historic neighborhood near downtown, Old Cloverdale. It is filled with old beautiful homes, parks, churches, numerous independently owned shops and restaurants and even Huntington College. I live in the eastern side of town where everything is very new and a lot of "big name" department stores are migrating. I live very close to a brand new outdoor mall, Eastchase, similar to Birmingham's Summit. Although all of these new shops and businesses are very convenient and some are exciting additions, I still love and prefer Old Cloverdale.


The area is very near a small town inside a city. It is a community. where everyone seems to know everyone else. One of my favorite areas is Mulberry Steet, a long road filled with old homes that have been conserved and turned into boutiques. Another is East Fairveiw Avenue. Part of Huntington College is found there along with some of my favorite restaurants: Cafe Louisa, Tomatino's Pizza, El Rey's Burrito Lounge, and Sinclair's. Aside from businesses, the homes themselves are stunning. Old Oak trees line the wide roads filled with homes from starter houses to mansions. The old churches are just as beautiful. The church that I grew up in is here. I always look foward to going to the area on Sundays and stopping for a homemade cheese biscuit and coffee at Cafe Louisa after the service.


Although some claim that the area is going downhill due to the city's move to the east, many citizens contribute to conserving the historic area and keeping the local entrepeuners in business. The area is truly an asset to Montgomery and I think it is very important to support local areas such as this one.

No comments: